Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Dish 7



            “What’s a six letter word for poisonous?” My dad says, tapping a pencil against his plate.
            “Dinner,” I mutter. I poke my fork against the creamy brown sauce drizzled on a chicken leg. Broden is stabbing toothpicks all over his chicken and mashed potatoes. There’s a jug of Berry Berry Crush well within his reach. My mom pulls the toothpicks out angrily and rearranges them in a straight line.
“Honey, can you please put the paper away? We’re eating.”
My dad has a bad habit of doing crossword puzzles all the time. He wants to do 1,000 by the end of the year. When he finishes a puzzle, he tears it out and saves it…on their bedroom wall. My mom hates it, of course, so he’s only allowed to do it on his side and if they’re taped in chronological order.
“Eating is break time. When I’m on break, I like to do my puzzles,” he says. “ This is my 83rd, can you believe it?”
“When are you gonna get a real hobby, Dad? Like collecting knives or swords or something?” Broden says, giving us a full view of his chewed food.
My dad smiles and scoops some more mashed potatoes. It takes him a couple shakes to get it to plop on his plate. Disgusting. As OCD as my mom is, you’d think she’d be a master chef, but since she’s a little over the edge, everything she makes seems to be too. Sadly, her food only marginally beats the cuisine of Ben Franklin High. I guess the picture perfect American family with the mom who cooks delicious food is all just a sham.
I feel my pocket vibrate suddenly. I pull out my phone and see a text from Adem.
“Is that a cell phone I see? You know the rules. Why does no one act like we have any rules here?” my mother says, raising one scarily arched eyebrow. I think she looked madder than she meant to be because of her new brows.
“Putting it away, Mom,” I say, despite my desperate urge to read the text. I’m impatient and I’m not afraid to admit it. I grew up in the instant gratification generation, so it’s not totally my fault.
I rush through the rest of my dinner so I can go back to my room and check the text. My dad lounges on the couch to continue his crossword puzzle. Broden helps our mom put away the dishes—his way of raking up brownie points to boost his already sky-high “perfect child” jackpot. The little devil.
WOO HOO! Party this Friday 8pm @ Josh Gomez’s. Ask for plus ones. Be There Suckas!!!!
The text looks like part of a mass text, something I rarely receive since I am not exactly in the contact list of party people. The only chain texts I get are those one about little girls dying or showing off how many people love you. Why did Adem send this to me? It must have been by mistake. Josh Gomez hasn’t talked to me since the eighth grade because I made him get a zero in a group project because I told the teacher he didn’t do anything. Now he thinks I’m a loser d-bag. He wrote this on a bathroom stall so I know this. But hey, I’ll only have your back if you’re a friend and Josh had been far from that.
I call up Adem to figure out what it’s about. It takes my phone awhile to connect, because the service sucks really bad around my house.
“Hey Zac. You got my text?”
“Yeah. That’s what I’m calling about. Did you realize you send that to me?”
“I meant to. Think you can come?”
I laugh and roll over on my bed, knocking the remote and a bag of Doritos Cooler Ranch. I sneak my hand inside the bag but there are only crumbs.
“You’re asking me. Zac, the nerd who works in the cafeteria and is in the AV club to go to a party held by Josh Gomez. I bet he has a restraining order against me that I don’t even know about. I’m sure all his friends do. What would I be doing there, really?”
I hear Adem sigh. “I hate how you always beat yourself up like that. That’s even more reason you need to go to this party. You’ve got to see yourself as someone who can hang with anyone and be confident and strong. Susannah even agrees with me.”
I snort. “Susannah? You were talking to her about me? How close did you guys get on the car ride to her place?”
No way in hell does that harpy know anything about me or have any right to discuss my flaws with my best friend.
“Chill dude. We were just talking about the party and when I mentioned that you wouldn’t go, she asked me why. I just told her the truth, hat you’re not comfortable around people who aren’t in your crowd and you don’t go for that sort of thing. But there’s still hope for you, Zac. I think you should go,” Adem says.
“Why now? You’ve been to parties before and you never invited me.”
Not that I cared. I am scared of high school parties. I’m not sure if they are like how they’re portrayed in movies—wild orgies or deadbeat poetry slams.
“Well, seeing you get all caught up with Katie made me think that you need to get yourself out there. I was cool with you being all over her for the past year, but now that she’s with Tyler, you can’t be holding on to her. I mean, Tyler’s a nice guy.”
I rolled my eyes. “I’m a nice guy too, you know. And he’ll be gone by the end of the year. Aren’t I doing Katie a favor by saving her the distress of a long distance relationship? You know those never work. I’m the one who’ll be here for her.”
“Zac, I’m serious. Go to this party and have fun. Don’t think about Katie. Even if she’s there, which she might be, if Tyler goes. But still, I’m telling you. Stay away,” Adem says. “There are plenty of girls for you. Katie is just whatever.”
He doesn’t get it. Katie is not whatever. If she was, would I be so crazy about her and concerned with what was going on with her? We could have been together until Tyler got to her and some alien life force drained Katie of her personality. You don’t get over a person through one party. How superficial does Adem think I am?
“Well, I better have VIP class treatment for being your plus one to the party. That’s my only requirement,” I say, sarcastically.
“Actually, you’ll be more my plus two. I asked Susannah to come to the party too.”
I want to punch a hole in the wall. “Way to kill it, Adem. Thanks. You’ve already replaced me with a girl that you just met. Now I know how much our friendship means to you.”
“Whoa, it’s not like that, Zac. You know you’re my bro, but she’s new to our school. I thought it’d be nice to invite her. She’s a really cool girl. I don’t get why you’re hating on her like that.”
“Whatever. It’s your choice. I’ll come to Josh’s dumb party not because you want me to, but to prove to Susannah that I can hang with people who aren’t in my crowd. I’ll show you guys that Zac Daniels isn’t the lame-o you two think I am. Katie won’t see what’s coming and Tyler will be nothing more than a ghost in the back of her head. I’m gonna be the life of the party and everyone’s gonna remember me!”
“But—“
I hang up on him and exhale deeply.
“Hey, does anyone know a six letter word for foolish?” my dad yells out.
Stupid. Which is exactly what I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment